[NCLUG] offtopic- Neal Stephenson at Boulder Bookstore

Dennis Clark dlc at frii.com
Mon Oct 13 17:01:43 MDT 2008

>> Any of you reading Anathem -- I recommend reading the calcas at the back
>> of the book as you come across reference to them in the narrative.
>> They're very easy to follow, and offer some insight into what's going on
>> in the story.  There are only three calcas, and they've all been
>> referenced by about halfway through the story.
>
> I just finished the book and read them at the end. While I was able to
> know
> what was going on from the context, had I read them as I went it might
> have
> helped.
>
> There is also an introduction section at the beginning of the book that
> said "if you want to work things out on your own then skip this" which I
> did and then read it after finishing. I am glad I did that.

  I've read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon and found them both engrossing,
up until the end where it felt like he just lost interest in the story
and dribbled off the end of the page.  Has his "wrap up" improved in
Anathem?

  Note, I DON'T want to know the end of the book, just whether is endings
have improved. ;)

DLC
> --
> Matt Taggart