[NCLUG] Bandwidth throttling when SIP connection is in progress.

Scott Scriven nclug at toykeeper.net
Fri Oct 17 02:31:31 MDT 2008

Are your voip calls working now?  Silky smooth, with no noticable
latency or jitter?

If so, then glad to be of service.  It doesn't matter to me if
you use my suggestions, but I can say at least it works well for
me -- it actually improved all my traffic, not just voip.

* John Gilmore <jgilmore at glycou.com> wrote:
> I can't classify packets nearly as easily b/c asterisk is
> running on the firewall. I've found no way to classify the SIP
> packets except to say "they're UDP".

You should be able to match based on port number and/or the TOS
field, especially if you set a TOS explicitly in asterisk.

> couldn't find a simple way to rewrite it to regulate incoming
> and outgoing easily.

You realize that your router has no direct control over incoming
traffic, right?

By the time data gets to your router, any damage which is going
to happen has already happened.  The only way it can affect
incoming traffic is by carefully controlling outgoing traffic.

If you have a consumer class broadband connection, it's probably
pointless to attempt any direct throttling for incoming data.
Just pay careful attention to what you send, and the incoming
packets will take care of themselves.

> I'm not even sure what my upload/download speeds actually are.

Whether you measure directly or ask your ISP, it takes just a few
minutes to get that data...

> Any solution which *always* regulated packets will have to be
> adjusted fairly precisely to actual network capacity, or risk
> significantly slower downloads ...

Unless you're talking about bittorrent, download speeds and
upload speeds are pretty independent.  Regular non-p2p downloads
only need enough upstream bandwidth to send ACKs, so you could
set your upload limit to almost anything and download just fine.

> And so that's why I decided not to use your script. ...

I don't think I understand.  It sounds like you don't believe it
works, and don't want to spend a few minutes to test it.  I can
relate to the first part since I'm a pretty skeptical person
myself, but I don't really get the rest.  It seems like it'd take
more time to reply than to find out empirically whether it works,
much less create a custom alternative.

But that's okay.  I don't need to understand, especially if
you've got things working now.  :)

-- Scott