[NCLUG] Python Rox

Scott Scriven nclug at toykeeper.net
Fri Oct 17 02:41:57 MDT 2008

* Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org> wrote:
> would love to teach Python but didn't have time to learn it.
> From what little I've played with it I told her it was pretty
> easy and she seemed interested.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet...

  http://diveintopython.org/

It's a pretty good Python tutorial for people who already know a
bit about any other language, or for people who learn well by
example.  IIRC, the author makes explicit references to Visual
Basic throughout the book, and tries to explain how to stop
thinking in VB and start thinking in Python.

> Can Python be programed in any way similar to the "build a gui"
> model of VB?

You might have some luck with Glade.  I don't really care for it,
but it's a fairly popular GTK GUI builder with python support.

-- Scott