[NCLUG] Python Rox

S. Luke Jones slukejones at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 17:17:30 MDT 2008

On Oct 19, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> I'm not sure what the your comments are rebutting; I don't recall
> equating Logo/turtle with being a toy, but perhaps I did.
>
> That said, all the Logo implementations I've used didn't really have
> any
> IO beyond turtle graphics, so it's not that unrealistic to call those
> implementations a toy. I agree that the Logo language itself is
> probably
> Turing complete, and as useful as any other language, given suitable
> libraries/... for system interaction, data access, etc.

I'm sensitive that this belongs on the pythonistas mailing list rather
than NCLUG so I will be brief in mentioning something called Nodebox
(nodebox.net). It is a simple drawing program like the old turtle
graphics -- I'm using it to teach my children to program -- that runs
on Mac OSX and uses Python for its "API"; it has the interesting
feature that it outputs both to the screen and to PDF. I wish Ruby had
something like that, and I wish nodebox were available on Linux rather
than the Mac.

S. Luke Jones - slukejones at gmail.com