[NCLUG] ANN: Fort Collins Pythonistas Kickoff Meeting - 6 Nov 2008 @ 6 pm

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Tue Oct 21 20:38:19 MDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Paul Hummer <paul at eventuallyanyway.com>wrote:

> That's right!  Fort Collins is getting its own Python Users Group!  We will
> be
> meeting at 6 pm on the 6th of November, at the CSU University Extension.
>  It is
> located inside the old Forest Service building, off College Ave. and two
> buildings south of the athletic track.

Very cool. Glad to see this coming together. Just a couple follow up
questions. What software will we need? I know I can do Python in a terminal
on a Linux box, but what IDE, if any, is suggested? What if people will be
using a Mac or, gasp, windows computer? I know if the teacher at my school
were to come (I just invited her) she would undoubtedly bring a windows
computer.
Also, I read recently that Python released version 3 and that it wasn't
entirely compatible with prior versions. Which version will we be looking at
and if it's version 3 is there a special upgrade we need? If we are just
learning should we be learning 3 so we don't have to "unlearn" later or is
it too early to worry about that?

> Please bring a laptop so that you can participate, and if you are an
> experienced
> pythonista, be prepared to help teach this lab.  Pizza will be provided to
> those
> who show up on time, and cold pizza MAY be available to those who are late.
>  :)

Also very cool. Should we plan on pitching in and will there be non-meat
options?
Thanks for setting this up,
--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)