[NCLUG] root/superuser pwd question

Mike Jensen jent at afkfoo.com
Tue Sep 9 16:55:21 MDT 2008

When you are in grub (assuming your using grub, don't we all any more?)
you can press e to edit a boot menu option.  Select the kernel line and
press e again to edit it.  Put '1' (without quotes) at the end of the line
to boot into run level 1.  Then inside run level 1 it should not prompt
you for any passwords.  But what it will allow you to do is 'passwd root'
to reset your root password into something else.

There are other ways to accomplish this too, but that is probably the
easiest IMO.
cheers,
Mike Jensen