[NCLUG] root/superuser pwd question

Rob Bayerl verigoth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 22:46:08 MDT 2008

On 9/9/08, Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org> wrote:
> My problem with Ubuntu is not the way they set things up, but the fact
> that they don't even mention other possibilities. If I want to set a
> root password I should be able to, and I don't understand why they do
> not want to leave that decision up to the user. If you had to depend on
> only their documentation you might believe it's not possible to get a
> root terminal.

Your "problem" with Ubuntu is contrary to why it even exists.
Distributions like Ubuntu and Fedora are looking to set up a Linux
installation that "just works". Yes there are other (possibly better)
ways of doing just about everything, but that's not what they are
trying to accomplish. I'd rather have them document their way of doing
things to get new users familiar with Ubuntu (or Fedora or whatever)
rather than confuse them by explaining the other 373783832 different
ways to do it.

Also I would be willing to bet that a simple search of "root password"
on the Ubuntu forums or wiki would quickly answer how to set the root
password (and most likely a lengthy discussion about why you should or
shouldn't do so).