[NCLUG] root/superuser pwd question

Scott Scriven nclug at toykeeper.net
Wed Sep 10 15:06:24 MDT 2008

* Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org> wrote:
> Someone who learned Unix from Ubuntu is in serious trouble if
> faced with a failed GUI, ...

That seems to be the way of things these days.  The same could be
said of most major distros.  I can't stand the GUI config tools
on Red Hat or SuSE either, but most of the users I've seen can't
do without.  That's fine though, it's part of being "ready for
the desktop".  People dig this stuff, and complain like crazy if
they ever see a config file or a command line.  They call it the
"red pill".

The only part which really bugs me is when the "easy" config
tools work in such a way that they break traditional approaches.
I've seen this, for example, on my new n810 tablet, which keeps
clobbering several important config files.  The GUI config tools
use XML or SQLite natively and regenerate the active config files
frequently with no regard for manual changes.

-- Scott