[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

William Greger billjgreger at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 11 20:09:13 MDT 2008

To all:

  I just purchased a PC (from Computer Renaissance) that I want to dedicate to Linux (Ubuntu).
The PC has
- MOBO: ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS
- CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4800+
- RAM: 2GB
- HDD: Seagate 320GB
- 2 optical drives:
  * combo drive (CD-R/W, DVD-ROM)
  * CD-R/W, DVD-R/W

  I tried to install
- Ubuntu 8.04, 32-bit (obtained at the Linux Install-fest)
  * it did NOT install
  * [this OS did install on an older Sony VAIO desktop (model RX-660),
      set up as a dual-boot system]
    - HDD1: Ubuntu
    - HDD2: XP_Pro
- Ubuntu AMD64.iso (obtained via download, then 'burned' to a CD-ROM)
  * it did NOT install

  The store was able to install Windows XP_(?)  successfully.

  Questions:
- Is the hardware correct, sufficient?
- Can the new PC successfully run Ubuntu?
  * if yes,
    - what distribution(s)?
    - what version(s)?
- What is necessary to accomplish this?
- Are any (other) modifications needed?
  * if yes, what are they?
- Any other suggestions/alternatives/...?

  I need lots of guidance/hand-holding/help/step-by-step suggestions
to 'make' (if possible) a stand-alone Linux machine.

Bill Greger