[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Fri Sep 12 17:09:34 MDT 2008

William Greger wrote:
> To all:
>
> 1. The tech-sales guy at Computer Renaissance (CR)
>     - said that for Ubuntu, a 64-bit OS is needed for a 64-bit CPU (e.g. AMD Athlon X2).
>       This info gleaned from some forum(s) he Google-d.

Wrong, you can install and run a 32-bit OS on an AMD64 CPU system, this
mail is being written on such a system.

>     - said that my CD-ROM with the Ubuntu AMD64.iso had defects.  He was unable to
>       install this OS.

If the media had defects (or, more likely, the data on it was corrupted)
you would probablynot be able to install from it.

>       I also did a 'check CD for defects.
>       The final statement was "Check finished: errors found in 67 files!".
>     - was able to install Ubuntu 7.1 .  He said that he also re-booted the PC, and it was running
>       for several hours.

Sounds like you shouldn't use that CD.

> 2. I was given the CD-ROM for Ubuntu 7.1 .  I went through the OS install (twice).  After
>     removing the CD-ROM, I re-booted; after the Ubuntu logo and the moving orange band stopped,
>     I was left with a black screen (twice).  I was not able to proceed any further.  So I am able to go
>     through the install process, but I am not able to re-boot.
>     Anyone know what may cause this?

Since you got the initial graphic, your system is finding the info it
needs to boot.

Sounds like you might have a problem with the graphics card/drivers. If
you try installing a CLI-only OS, I wonder if it would work, but it
sounds like you don't want to do that.

What graphic hardware does this machine have? current Ubuntu installs
can handle most graphics hardware, but there are exceptions.

You also might have a problem with Ubuntu setting up for a graphics mode
that your monitor can't handle. I've run into this several times.

> 3. The new PC is now back at CR.  One of the techs will (attempt to) install Ubuntu 7.1 for me.
>
> 4. My to-do list -
>     - 'burn' another AMD64.iso CD-ROM. Check for defects.
>     - go to CR; check that the Ubuntu 7.1 OS is installed and can be re-booted;
>       take the PC home and try to boot up in Ubuntu 7.1
>
> 5. I have already requested a 'clean' AMD64.iso CD-ROM from Canonical web-site.

Useful, but probably not necessary, assuming you have a working burn setup.

> 6. Comments, suggestions, ... would be appreciated.

Be patient, you will get it working eventually, and probably learn
something in the process.

We learn more form things that don't work at first than we do from
things that work with no problems :-)

beww