[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Fri Sep 12 22:52:08 MDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:37 PM, William Greger <billjgreger at hotmail.com>wrote:

> To all:
>
> 1. The tech-sales guy at Computer Renaissance (CR)
>    - said that for Ubuntu, a 64-bit OS is needed for a 64-bit CPU (e.g. AMD
> Athlon X2).
>      This info gleaned from some forum(s) he Google-d.

No, you can run 32bit on on an Athlon X2. I've done it on mine but I did
switch to 64-bit with Feisty. I've also run 32bit on the intel core 2 duo
and 64 bit as well. Right now both options work on modern hardware.

I've had good luck for the most part with Computer Renaissance but they tend
to be windows centric. It's cool they are trying to install Ubuntu for you.

> 6. Comments, suggestions, ... would be appreciated.

Where do you live? I'm sure someone is probably not too far from you that
has extra CDs from Canonical (I'm almost out but maybe could dig one up).
I'm sure lots of people could download and burn one too if you are having
difficulties.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----