[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Sep 15 20:24:49 MDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM, William Greger <billjgreger at hotmail.com>wrote:

> To all -
>
>  What I learned about Ubuntu install (info from Computer Renaissance (CR))
> -
> 1. CR was able to duplicate the problem of re-booting (after install) and
> getting a black (blank) screen.
> 2. Using Google ('ubuntu blank screen on boot'), there are (more than) a
> few posts indicating the same problem that I observed.  The solution appears
> to be reconfiguring the video interface.

Certainly a possibility. I've noted that when using onboard graphics it is
possible to have a black screen during boot until the OS takes over fully.
I've been able to fix it by making sure BIOS settings for graphics were
correct. This has been especially true when using a discrete graphics card
albeit on older hardware. That may be irrelevant for your situation since it
sounds like yours stays black. Have you tried recovery mode? It won't give
you a gui but it may help to pinpoint the problem. If it works, open up the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file and see what the settings are for graphics and if
that makes sense for your set up? I'm not 100% sure but I think the vesa
driver is supposed to be most likely to work so give that a try. If it does
you can install the nvidia drivers once it's working (I believe that mobo
uses nvidia graphics or did you install a discrete card?).

May not be of much help but take a look at this page relating to your mobo.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Asus_M2N-MX_SE_Plus

Maybe something there is useful.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)