[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power.

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Sep 16 22:30:17 MDT 2008

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Which is a good reminder: batteries need to be handled similarly...  Which
> is one of the great things about the rechargeable AA and AAAs, because
> they're kind of a pain to recycle.  I don't think our curb-side service
> will take them, they instead have to go to the dump.  So, we cache up the
> batteries (including laptop) by our cardboard recycling, and then take them
> off to recycling periodically.

Do they really recycle them here?  Or just contain them and store them
in a salt mine in Kansas?  I haven't heard that they are actually
recycled here yet.

I had heard, possibly incorrectly, but without any information to the
contrary, that they were simply handled as hazardous waste and stored.
And so I have just been storing them waiting for something better to
be done with them.  I have two full "ammo cans" of dead batteries
waiting for some place that I have confidence in that will recycle
them.

> Penn and Teller's "Bullshit" show has a really nice episode on recycling.

I will have to look for it.  Penn and Teller are always good.

Bob