[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power.

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Wed Sep 17 07:12:12 MDT 2008

> Not much.
>
> You're better off with LEDs.  There's also some minor hazardous materials
> concern with LEDs, but it's less significant, and the lights last *much*
> longer than compact fluorescent bulbs.  They also tend to produce a less
> dismal shade of light.
>
> I have a couple of CF lights here in my living room, and I now wish I'd
> gotten something else instead.  They frankly suck.  I won't toss and
> replace them any time soon, though, because (on the conservation side of
> things) it's kinda pointless to throw 'em away once they've already been
> bought and pressed into service.
>
> I'll get incandescents or LEDs in the future, though, unless something
> better comes along.  CFs just aren't on my shopping list.

I agree.   Also, you can dim LED's.   There are two nice things about CF
bulbs:
1)  Much cheaper than LED's at this point.
2)  They last a long time (compared to incandescent bulbs), so are good
for very hard to reach places like the light above the staircase.

I am looking forward to LED bulbs being generally commercially available.