[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Wed Sep 17 10:58:36 MDT 2008

> And the new Li batteries are great, but expensive....just for
> fun, I priced them to run my house (I'm off grid). Including all the
> special charging equipment, it was just under $100k for 20 kwh capacity,
> for which my current lead-acid batteries cost $2k

I would be VERY interested in knowing the process you took to get off
the grid.  That's a life-goal of mine.  While I don't think that my
entire house will be off the grid anytime soon, if I could offload
devices that need to be "always on" onto something that I'm not paying
the monthly for (servers, etc.), then it'd be a good start.

Last item I looked, solar power was getting cheaper, and I thought
(theoretically) that I might just be able to run off solar power during
the day (when I obviously don't need lights, etc), and then switch to
the grid at night.  That way, I'm technically only paying far
electricity that ~10 hours out of the day.  There were some issues with
that, but I don't remember the big ones.

--
Paul Hummer

http://theironlion.net