[NCLUG] flame war

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 13:59:57 MDT 2008

Well, I can't speak for everyone- but I for one know that there are a
lot of intense opinions in most discussions, especially hot-button items.

It's unavoidable, but I do have to say that I enjoy people having
discussions (threads) without fear of whether they should continue on a
topic or not- it's how normal conversation works.

I did notice that someone at some point wisely saw that a discussion was
going a different direction and changed the subject line.
I also think the 'green' conversation has needed to happen in IT circles
for more than 20 years.  It's never easy to turn on the news and find
that all the stuff you've been 'recycling' has gone to China and is
killing people.  Emotions will come up out of topics like this, and when
you have people that are asked upon 8 hours a day to be 'right'- it's
hard not to be pretty aggressive with your opinions.

Hopefully you weren't somehow personally hurt by these discussions - I
don't think anyone on this list would ever have any malicious intention,
but they may banter back and forth a bit.  Email isn't the most ideal
form of communication and 'geeks' are already socially challenged (or at
least so I'm told).

I don't know if that helps at all- I'm one of the worst at stirring up
trouble, but I love to see people step out of their comfort zones and
challenge themselves.  It may seem on the surface to be a bunch of
people disagreeing, but sometimes you need these little scrums to really
get to the meat of these issues.

Above all- I think I can safely say that this isn't just a 'how-to'
group.  It's a group of PEOPLE with a common interest, but a good lot
with pretty intense opinions.  Therefore, fallible but I think we can
learn from each other.

-DJ