[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power -- off grid

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 13:09:34 MDT 2008

Along these lines- I recently have been approached by two of my clients
wondering how they can 'green up' their datacenters.

I'd love to recommend wind turbines, but does anyone know if that can be
done in the City limits?

Solar is of course an option but I've never felt the output is enough to
justify the cost.

I personally get 100% of my power from the city's Wind program- as far
as I know that power is coming mostly from Wyoming.  I'm sure Xcel has
the same kind of thing going on.  It adds a bit to the bill, but I feel
it's exercising my consumer advocacy by doing it- the more people demand
wind power, the more turbines will be built and maintained.  The more
turbines are built, the easier it will be to lower the cost (supply and
demand).
However, one of these days I'll actually settle down enough to buy a
home- perhaps by then Solar will be worth it.  As you're probably
gathering, I like the idea of personal energy independence- where you
can use the grid when you need to, but for the most part you take care
of your own.  Economically it really makes a lot of sense- but that's a
whole different conversation.

For now my answer to those wanting to 'green up' their datacenters is to
utilize Xen and VMWare, Citrix and technologies like that; but
ultimately I think (as someone else mentioned before) - cooling said
servers is actually the majority of the expense.  Unfortunately, servers
are more efficient at creating heat than air conditioners are at
removing it.  It's why I'm really looking forward to IBM's research in
this field http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23826.wss

fun times, eh!

-DJ