Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Thu Sep 18 16:06:43 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 12:52 -0600, John L. Bass wrote:
> Paul Hummer wrote:
> > However, I have read Linus' "World Domination 101," and I think we are
> > alot closer to that
>
> What's most disgusting is that people even think this is a good thing,
> that other good peoples jobs developing good software should fail and
> cease to exist, just with win what?

Heh, I'm not sure what "just with win what" means, but I think FLOSS is
a good thing, in the same way that the printing press was a good thing,
even though it put a lot of scribes out of work temporarily.  I also
think that automated textile looms are a good thing, even though it
eliminated a lot of menial cloth-weaving jobs.  Those are examples of
disruptive technologies that made our society so much more productive,
that the temporary elimination of particular jobs was, in the long run,
of very little consequence.  FLOSS is the same way, IMO.

--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>
 Irritated at Outlook's plain-text quoting?