Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Thu Sep 18 17:46:11 MDT 2008

> This may be true for something similar to a solitaire game or music
> sharing application, most of which I suspect are written by
> "uneducated" (read self-educated) people already.  If you are talking
> about an enterprise application or piece of software used regularly by
> a large number of consumers, there are plenty of successful companies
> using a business model that charges for support.
>
> Then again I may be biased since I have very little formal training
> (or interest, really) in "Software Engineering".  Truthfully I could
> care less if programming became something every citizen learned in
> school, sort of like that other written language they make us all
> learn (read English).

Everyone learns algebra, but not everyone can be a mathematician. Just
because everyone learns it, that does not mean it will become a
commodity.   I have worked with plenty of people who are employed as
programmers that don't really have the aptitude.  I imagine that since
they are doing this for a living, and have degrees in it, that they
have a lot more aptitude than the general public.  It takes a certain
sort of person to be good at programming.   Just like I could never be
an accountant even though I learned math in school, some people could
never be programmers even if it was a required subject.