[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power -- off grid

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 12:56:14 MDT 2008

See- I agree with you on both fronts.

The last time I was called upon to help with this sort of thing the only
thing the schmucks at their HVAC vendor could think to do when I
mentioned this is to put in a vent system on a thermostat.
What I wanted to do was to have them install two 'winter/fall' vents one
to draw in air to the front of the racks, one at the back to draw it
out, or alternatively to draw the air into the rest of the building when
heating was needed.  There would be a clear plastic 'shroud' bordering
the front of the racks- like you see in supermarket's freezers, for example.

So given all this idea, what do they do?  Put two air conditioners in
the room, in the BACK of the servers.
Idiots.
Then, at about 3 am sometime around November, my pager goes off that the
temperature had reached 90 degrees in the server room- the condensers
had shut down because the temperature outside dropped below 30 degrees.
Their only solution was to add another AC unit (I kid you not).  When
that one failed as well- they decided to add a vent.  Amazing how they
never thought to just listen to me in the first place- it seems like the
savings every year would be immense.
I've taken this idea to three other places I manage and none want to do
it.  I just don't get it!

Ironically, yesterday I saw an article that Intel had done some research
into cooling datacenters with regular air- letting the temps get to
about 90 degrees.  They found that the cost savings was higher than that
of the failure rates.  Maybe now people will listen...  I'll try to find
the article if I can and pass it along.

-DJ