Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Fri Sep 19 16:07:04 MDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 12:51 -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
>   2. I'm surprised at the way this discussion has, in several branchings
>   from the main trunk, gone from referring to Free/Libre/Open Source
>   software to specifically talking about the GPL.

For my part, it's sheer laziness.  The GPL is highly representative of
"freed" software licenses that we're talking about (I don't think even
John could find something evil and sinister, hell-bent on destroying the
programming profession, in the BSD license -- especially since Microsoft
itself, along with Apple have taken nice advantage of the BSD license to
profit from other FLOSS programmers' work.).

Anyway, I tend to generalize these kinds of discussions about FLOSS
licensing towards the GPL, for the same reason I refer to my operating
system as "Linux", instead of "GNU-GNOME-Mozilla-Compiz-Mplayer-Linux".
It's easier that way, and most people get it anyway :)

--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>
 Irritated at Outlook's plain-text quoting?