[NCLUG] Suggestions for a distro change

Mike Bates sxmwb at comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 11:17:40 MDT 2009

I have had the same issue with Fedora but started taking the approach of
upgrading my systems on the even releases for some reason.  This gives
me a window of time where I might miss a security update because Fedora
stops putting out updates for the previous even release once they
release it.  (I do not like to be more than two releases behind.)

The big problem I run into is there are enhancements/features that creep
in that cause problems such as disk structure changes etc and so most of
the time I have to backup the apps and data and reinstall as the upgrade
process normally fails so I plan on it.  With one machine it takes a
weekend with more I would plan a rolling upgrade or I might if work to
upgrade to the odd release and then the final even release.

Anyway, work out an approach, stay with what you know and should be good.

Mike