[NCLUG] rdp, vnc through nat

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Aug 17 21:06:54 MDT 2009

Matt Rosing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to operate my father-in-law's or parent's
> machine remotely from my machine so I can do some stuff for them. To try
> this out, so far I put gnome-rdp on my machine and I put a vnc server on
> a windows machine and now I can control my windows machine, which is on
> the same local network as my linux machine. What I don't understand is
> how to run this through the fire walls. The ports are no problem but the
> NAT is. I can modify my fire wall to send everything related to rdp to
> my linux machine but I can't get to the firewall at my parent's house. I
> just can't ask them to touch anything and I can't drive there to set
> this up. So, I want the server (the windows machine) to initiate things
> and the client (my linux machine) to respond. Is this doable? Or is
> there a better way to do this?

Use gotomeeting or similar to remote control their PC the first time
(your parents will just have to click on a single link in an email, and
possibly follow through some simple browser plugin installation
prompts), and set up their firewall using a web-browser on their machine.

After that, you should be able to just connect to their public IP
address. No need to modify your firewall.