[NCLUG] linux for old 95 machine?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Dec 27 00:11:22 MST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:58:10PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> The operating system isn't the problem.  Any of the current popular
> ones would do okay and the same as each other.  The problem is the
> limitation on what applications you can run on it.  Or rather with
> only 64M of ram what application (singular, not plural) you run on it.

Actually, different Linux distributions *can* pose more or fewer
problems, because of their concepts of what constitutes a minimal install
and their dependencies.  The only way your distribution choice doesn't
make any difference in the long term is if you decide you'll ignore the
package management system and start digging into the guts of the system
to rip out things that are installed as part of the minimal system, and
add things via compilation from tarball with alterations to the build
defaults in makefiles.  Ubuntu, for instance, tends to involve much more
significant dependency requirements than vanilla Debian when aiming for
lightweight configurations, in my experience.