[NCLUG] FOSS solution similar to DropBox?

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 11:34:51 MDT 2009

Greetings all,

I know I asked this question a few years ago but thought I'd re-visit it.

What I'd like to do is simple enough- I want to have a system to keep my
files on my Windows and Linux PCs backed up to my CentOS server at my
office, but I grow weary of 'sneaker netting' the backup drive back and
forth, then copying the new files to the share via FTP here at the office.

What I'm really hoping to find is a nice full-featured solution similar
to DropBox (www.getdropbox.com) that just works and is capable of
bit-level backups (I suppose this is optional, but it'd be nice to limit
the bandwidth required with version changes).

Of course there's Unison and a few other rSync-based products out there,
but honestly I was hoping to have to spend a lot less time hacking away
at it, and I need something that works well in Vista 64bit as well as
distros like Ubuntu.  I really like the web-based simplicity of DropBox
but I need a lot more space and I'd really like to keep this on my
servers since I'm already handling DR for that server.

Any ideas?