[NCLUG] Trying to check ThinkPad support for Linux

Ryan J Nicholson rjn511 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 19:41:08 MDT 2010

This is great information for me concerning the ThinkPads. Thank you
all for your replies!

For those of you currently using a Linux distribution on a ThinkPad,
what has been your experience with power management support? I use
suspend-to-RAM when my laptop is at a desk on AC. It is a must-have
feature for me. Has it worked for you, and if so, what model ThinkPad
and which distro, release (or kernel version)?

I hope that question is an anachronism although I fear it is not. I
have worked with too many laptops where a s2r fails to restore the
video BIOS, or only works from the console, or causes a module to hang
without recourse.

I also use DPMS blanking, from the software timeouts as well as the Fn
hotkey. Again, I have used Linux on too many laptops where DPMS
blanking is unable to turn off the LCD lamp. If it works for you
properly on your ThinkPad, please let me know.

My other concern is video switching from the Fn hotkey. On the Linux
testing page <http://tinyurl.com/j4cfh> [ibm.com], the T60 and some
others are flagged with inoperable Fn hotkey switching. Irritating,
and not sure I want that handicap. I don't know if it has been enabled
in a later BIOS release, though. Is it working for anyone?

As always, appreciated.

Ryan