[NCLUG] [OT] Re: Question about IP forwarding

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 15:54:12 MDT 2010

I believe at this point it's clear that this isn't a linux problem, so I'll mark this thread off-topic, but here are the results from a wireshark capture on the 192.168.234.1 interface when I attempt to connect to a node 192.168.235.119 (this node isn't in my diagram, but it's just a linux node like the one pictured):

10.50.10.1 --> 192.168.235.119 TCP 51106 > ssh [SYN] Seq=0 Win=8192 Len=0 MSS=1380 WS=2
192.168.235.119 --> 10.50.10.1 TCP ssh > 51106 [SYN, ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1460
10.50.10.1 --> 192.168.235.119 TCP 51106 > ssh [RST] 51106 Seq=1209360052 Win=0 Len=0
10.50.10.1 --> 192.168.235.119 TCP [TCP Port Numbers reused] 51106 > ssh [SYN] Seq=0 Win=8192

So, it appears to me as if the workstation initiates a connection, the worker node acknowledges it, but the break down happens when the workstation replies with an RST.

I've never seen those packets before, but my googling indicates that it's the TCP equivalent of "WTF?" . So the machines are talking, but apparently the replies are coming back in Mandarin or something.

The next packet seems to be the workstation trying to reinitiate the connection. This continues ad infinitum (or actually, until the ssh client times out).

-- Marcio