[NCLUG] Linux on laptop - can I buy any laptop I want, or do I still need to check for hardware compatibility?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Aug 29 06:45:15 MDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 08:51:49PM -0600, John Gilmore wrote:
> Moot point now, the desicion has been made. I've bought three IBM R52
> Thinkpads. When I get ubuntu installed on one I'll let you know how it
> went...

R52 support is pretty good with FreeBSD and various Linux distributions.
You *should* be good with those.  If you dislike touchpads, you can
disable the touchpad in BIOS/CMOS settings and just keep the trackpoint
enabled (which I do with all my ThinkPads).

I don't recall for sure whether I ever got suspend/resume working
correctly with an R52, but I *think* so.  Good luck.