[NCLUG] A *nix DFS alternative?

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Thu Feb 18 21:00:59 MST 2010

> Doesn't the bittorrent seeder need to read the files at start time and
> compute their md5sums?  If you had a large collection of large files
> that would be a problem.  At (re)start time things would melt down.
>
> But there are many bittorrent clients and the behavior of the ones I
> am using may be different and less than good.  A good bittorrent
> client would solve this problem.  And perhaps you can tell me that my
> observations are completely incorrect.  That would be great in this case.

It does check files (both seeders and not) to see if the file is complete.
  It may just mean adding some intelligence to the script.   Let them all
run, and only start the ones that are not already running by either making
lock files, or spinning through the process list.

A large set of large files would be bad to restart all of them.   It would
not be too hard, though, to do it:

cd /var/autotorrent
cvs update
for $f in `find . -type f|grep .torrent$`
do
ps aux|grep btdownload|grep $f
if [ $? ne 0 ] then;
  nohup btdownload $f &
fi
done;

It is a rough, and probably won't work on the first try, but it is a start.