[NCLUG] A *nix DFS alternative?

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:15:46 MST 2010

Under ideal conditions, I could see 10Mb/sec sustained, though I think
it'll probably be more like 6Mb/sec (limited by upload speed from the
main server- downloads top 30 Mb/sec with Comcast Business), but I can't
have it high priority on the pipe so other services aren't affected.

Speed probably isn't the major factor, honestly; the whole reason to
sync locally is to avoid having to download/cache each file
individually; I can just have her work off of a Samba share to make it
easy for her.  Initially I was thinking web folders and just place the
whole thing out there hosted (we have a webserver on a Tier1 network),
but the storage would get out of control quickly.  Actually, in thinking
more about this I may decide to keep using that server as a front-end;
it would cache files for clients, keeping an archived copy on my main
server- then delete the files from the front-end after say 30 days.
That may end up being the way I go down the road- but I just wanted
something better than having her clients email attachments (yuck)

-DJ