[NCLUG] Hacker Space Anyone?

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Tue Jan 5 23:14:21 MST 2010

Hey NCLUGers!

  I've talked with a few of you now (and a few more people not on these lists)
about the prospect of a clubhouse/coworking/hacker space type place.  I'd like
to explore the idea more, and thought I'd bring it to the list to see what
everyone else thinks.

  You ask, "What's a Hacker Space?"  I answer "Whatever you hackers want it to
be!"  Basically, the idea is that it's a place for like minded hackers to get
together and work on projects and explore with each other, in a social
environment.  Think of it as a hippie commune, but for hackers.  Members of the
hacker space would be able to share equipment with each other so that many
people have exposure to all sorts of toys.  For instance, tonight at Hacking
Society, Kyle offered to let me borrow some Xbee hardware, and I invited him to
my place tomorrow night to dig through my hardware and see if there's anything
of interest to him.  In a hacker space, I'd just leave a box of hardware there
for people to use at their leisure, and expect others to share in the pot.

  Now you ask "Who pays for all this?"  I say, "Well, there are bills to pay,
this is true.  If we all pitch in, they aren't that much."  After studying how
other hacker spaces deal with financials, it seems that there is a non-profit
organization/foundation set up to deal with paying the bills, etc.  Members of
the hacker space pay dues on a monthly basis to that foundation, and the
foundation takes care of dealing with all the bills for internet, building,
electricity, etc.  It seems the going number is anything from $50-$100/mo for
members, and they can bring along any friends that might also be interested
(especially if they'd like to become members).

  I realize that the economy sucks right now, and lots of us are on a fixed
income.  I thought I'd just reach out across the few lists of Northern Colorado
Supergeeks and see how many of you would be interested in paying for something
like this.  I think it would be great for Fort Collins/Loveland/Greeley to have
a place to go that fostered hacking and exploration for those in the area.

  If this leads to a discussion on list, that's great.  If you feel more
comfortable replying to me off list, I'm also happy to respond to your
questions, concerns, or "Count me in!"s.

Cheers,
Paul