[NCLUG] Looking for co-location space

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 7 17:04:31 MDT 2010

On 06/04/2010 01:54 PM, Paul Hummer wrote:
> representation here, but the last time I talked to Tummy about colo,
> they didn't do it.  However, when I was freelancing, I recommended

Thanks for the kind words, Paul.  As he mentions, we indeed don't do
colocation, meaning you bring your box into our space.  We *DO* do managed
hosting where we provide the box, including monitoring and management of
it.  We specialize in high availability, so much of our architecture is
overbuilt (things like N+2 power redundancy to the cabinets -- we've never
had a server down because of power, but we've only been on the current
architecture since 2004).

The benefit, and a large part of the reason we only do managed hosting, is
that it just allows us to provide better service.  We standardize on
hardware, and keep spares around, and monitor it.  So, if the box goes down
at 3am on Saturday morning, we get the call, identify it and, say, find
it's a dead power supply, swap it out, and bring it back up.

So on Monday when you get in the office you find a message from us about
the repair, not a bunch of them from your clients about how services have
been down all weekend.  Or instead of you getting the alert at 3am and
having to go out and do the repair yourself.  We're mostly targeted at
small organizations without their own 24x7 operations staff -- we watch the
servers so you can take the occasional vacation.  :-)

If you really want to own the box and go into the data center, there are
better options as others have mentioned.