[NCLUG] SSH on Android

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Mar 21 13:49:55 MDT 2010

So . . . I have an Android smartphone (a Cliq, specifically).  In
general, I like it.  I find myself annoyingly limited in my options for
connecting to another system via the SSH protocol, though.

Is there an easy way that anyone on the list knows to get a basic command
line SSH suite working on Android -- with both SSH and SFTP capability?
There are a couple of tools available in the Android Market, of course,
but for some reason:

1. A secure shell tool is just a secure shell tool with no SFTP
capability.

2. SFTP is apparently available only as one of several connection methods
for FTP tools.

3. The FTP tools won't actually connect using SFTP (they give
authentication errors).

I've only just started looking into this (I haven't had the smartphone
long).  I have tried some Google searching for ideas, for figuring out
what's wrong with the FTP application, et cetera.  I've even found a
couple of forum discussions started by people who had the same problem
with some of those FTP tools (though nobody ever said anything helpful in
response).  I'll keep searching, but I figured I'd see if anyone on this
list might give me a hint how to shorten the search for a solution.