[NCLUG] SSH on Android

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Mar 21 22:17:50 MDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 04:43:36PM -0600, James DeWitt wrote:

> ConnectBot is a good and free SSH client for Android.

It's pretty nice from what I've seen, but apparently all it does is shell
login, because I can't find any way to use SFTP or SCP with it, which is
really the bigger concern at this time.

> AndFTP seems likewise to be a good FTP/SFTP/FTPS client, but I have
> only used it a little.  Have you tried this one?

AndFTP is one of the two Android FTP apps I've tried for SFTP, and is the
one that gave me the authentication error that I saw someone else
reported in a discussion forum.

> Some apps seem to not be able or willing to accept self-signed
> certificates, but others can.  Not sure if AndFTP does, but it is a
> defect, in my opinion.

Self-signed certificates . . . ?  I'm talking about SFTP with SSH
encryption, not FTPS with SSL encryption.  If you are not thinking of
FTPS, please clarify your meaning when you talk about self-signed
certificates.

> As to command line and bundling issues, if you have root on your phone,
> you may be able to port some things to it. However, since it has very
> limited memory and native libraries, it is probably not worth it.

I do not have root on my smartphone, and have not been able to find any
references to rooting the Cliq that provide much confidence that I can do
so without turning the thing into a brick.  Considering I'm on the hook
for two years of data service, that seems like a really expensive chance
to take at this point.