[NCLUG] SSH on Android

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Mar 22 06:06:12 MDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:38:10AM -0600, Anthony Foiani wrote:

> Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> writes:
> > [ConnectBot]'s pretty nice from what I've seen, but apparently all
> > it does is shell login, because I can't find any way to use SFTP or
> > SCP with it, which is really the bigger concern at this time.
>
> I'm curious: what combined SSH/SFTP app have you ever seen on any
> system anywhere?

OpenSSH on pretty much every Linux and BSD Unix system I've ever touched
is the canonical example.  It's the standard open source SSH suite, which
provides ssh, sftp, and scp commands.  They may be separate executables,
but they are all part of the same installed "product".

> For that matter, what kind of local storage layout is even exposed to
> Android apps, that you could usefully SFTP in/out of?  Would you want
> to transfer a file down, edit it locally on your Android device, and
> then re-upload it?

SD card

My first use case for this has been media files.