[NCLUG] Carputer / Megasquirt

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Oct 13 21:49:15 MDT 2010

Rob Elsner wrote:
> So I've done some snooping, and my ISP (FRII) cannot resolve
> ns1.msefi.com or ns2.msefi.com which is why I cannot get to half of
> the google results.
>
> Any network people want to chime in on why?  My guess is those two
> servers aren't registered with a root server, which means resolution
> will be hit or miss.

I am also not able to resolve those addresses from my network.  But if
I log into another machine across the world then that machine is able
to resolve those addresses.  And yet another on a different network
fails too.

The domain msefi.com has ns1.msefi.com[64.50.169.76] and
ns2.msefi.com[64.50.169.77] registered as nameservers for it.  But the
msefi.com dns zone data doesn't list IP addresses for those.  (Or at
least they are not returning answers to those queries.)  That looks
like the mistake to me but I could be wrong.

I think the dns zone data is missing the NS records for the zone and
therefore dns queries answers are missing those glue records.

The www.msefi.com[64.50.169.36] is alive.  If you put that in your
/etc/hosts so that you don't need to go to the external world for dns
lookups then you will be able to get to the web site.

  # echo 64.50.169.36 www.msefi.com >> /etc/hosts

Bob