[NCLUG] FS: Laptops: Dell Inspiron 9300, HP/Compaq Presario V5209US

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Jan 17 21:13:54 MST 2011

I have two laptops for sale. I can bring them to any hacking society or
NCLUG meeting, or contact me; I'm available most times.

(When replying, please reply directly to me only; don't spam the list)

Dell Inspiron 9300 $150
* 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) screen. There is a 1 pixel wide vertical line
all the way down the screen about 1/3 the way across that is stuck on
yellow. Otherwise, screen is perfect. You'll probably notice it, but
depending on window background color, can probably ignore it after a few
hours use.
* 1.73GHz Pentium M CPU.
* 1G RAM
* 160G SATA HDD. No issues reported by "badblocks -w" or SMART long test.
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256M Graphics. Supported by current NVIDIA binary
drivers or probably nouveau/nv.
* WiFi B/G
* Bluetooth
* Battery still holds charge; somewhere between 1 and 2 hours (new is
about 2h20m). Battery was replaced 1-3 years ago.
* Comes with custom-fit Dell carry case (brief-case handle, or
over-the-shoulder strap; messenger style, I believe)
* Includes A/C adapter, wireless mouse, spare rubber feet.
* Great cosmetic condition considering it's ~5 years old; some very
minor scratches on outside of lid, some rub marks on hand rest, 1 very
minor chip on paint.
* Was dropped once ~3.5 years ago while turned off. HDD developed some
bad sectors possibly due to this, and has since been replaced. No other
issues noticed.
* Windows XP MCE authenticity sticker. Windows is not installed, and I
do not have the install CDs. I have requested a copy from Dell, but they
haven't responded yet to indicate if they will ship it.
* Ubuntu Maverick 32-bit installed.
* Priced slightly above eBay auctions labeled as "bad screen" (i.e.
complete replacement required), since the screen is mostly usable,
battery is good, and accessories are included.
* New screen $130-$240 on eBay, or ~$170 somewhere I forget online.

HP/Compaq Presario V5209US (V5000 series) $100
* 15.4" WXGA (1280x80) screen. No issues.
* 1.4GHz Celeron 410 CPU.
* 512M RAM (just $17 for 1G from Newegg)
* 80G HDD. No issues reported by "badblocks -w" or SMART long test.
* Intel chipset graphics
* WiFi B/G
* Battery runs for ~1 hour, mix of installing 214M Maverick updates and
idle.
* Includes A/C adapter.
* Great cosmetic condition. Maybe some very very slight scratches on the
lid. About 4 years old.
* Windows XP Home authenticy sticker. Windows is not installed, and I do
not have the install CDs. You can order them from HP for $17 according
to their website.
* Has not been dropped!
* Ubuntu Maverick 32-bit installed.
* Priced to match eBay auctions of similar spec (i.e. Celeron CPU); most
are for faster Sempron/Turion.