[NCLUG] You decide: Web conferencing show down @ CLUE Installfest

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Thu Jan 20 13:09:08 MST 2011

Folks:

As part of the CLUE Installfest on Saturday, Linux ETC will make available two difference web conferencing systems.

In corner #1: Drupal + Big Blue Button

In corner #2: OpenMeetings

Note: You will need to sign up separately for other conference suite (a drag, I know...).

I have adjusted the CLUE Conference site (http://clue.linux-etc.com ) some with the appropriate URLs as well as setting up some additional conference rooms (five now + the original room) for Drupal + BBB.  I know that Gus and David Willson want to try out a few web cameras and microphones at the Installfest.  I also know Jon Butjer (SP?) wanted to join in as well.  I know Davide Del Vento has done some comparisons as well on his end on the Boulder LUG email lists.

Both systems need to have approved user accounts which again are separate.  Currently Gus, David Ansemli, and David W. are "moderators" on the Big Blue Button system with a few more to be added shortly.  I will be making parallel accounts on the OpenMeetings side shortly as well.  A "moderator" permits one to upload presentations and use the white board features in both systems, as well as eject/mute "viewers".  A "viewer" basically can watch said presentations and ask questions via voice and instant messaging.  There are also some feature differences between the two systems in the areas of (1) white boarding, and (2) recording (or lack there of at this time).

I would like some feedback from folks on both systems, pros and cons.  Special requests on these systems are welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court