[NCLUG] Ruby Fanatics?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Jul 23 16:56:35 MDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 03:58:02PM -0700, S. Luke Jones wrote:

> In the words of Arthur-King, "you make me sad." I was a lonely rubyist
> from when I first heard about it (the original PragProg article in Dr.
> Dobbs, ca. 2000) until the present. I actually gave a talk about ruby
> at NCLUG when NCLUG was meeting (I forget where: somewhere in old town
> near college & riverside?).
>
> But I quit doing programming for a living was right about when Rails
> came out, and the ruby community left me in its dust. It's all I can do
> nowadays to make sense of some of the gems I run across on github.

There's a lot you can do with Ruby without having anything to do with
Rails.  In fact, the very popular and busy ruby-talk mailing list is
pretty much Rails-free; if you have a Rails question, you are (gently, in
most cases) directed to the Rails list instead.

The problem is that there do not appear to be enough non-Rails Rubyists
around here to bother getting anything started, or enough of them in
Boulder to warrant any meetings that do not focus on the kinds of
Rails-centric topics that are of interests to the many Web startup
companies in the area.

There *was*, however, a code retreat here in Fort Collins recently (last
month?), and it was a *blast*.  The people running the thing were mostly
Rubyists, as were several of the people attending, though of course one
could use basically any language at all for the exercises in the code
retreat itself.