[NCLUG] Debian wireless broken

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Mar 15 15:51:05 MDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:53:03PM -0600, Michael Milligan wrote:
> I'd suggest you try "wicd" then, which I've been using in favor of
> NetworkManager for almost a year now.  It's similar to NetworkManager,
> but doesn't have a brain-dead policy of staying connected to more than
> one network at a time and adjusting the metrics to what it thinks is the
> "primary" connection, and not allowing you to do anything different.
> Wicd will only connect via one device at a time (either wireless or
> wired), but you can choose to automatically favor the wired connection
> and switch automatically if it detects link, or not.  Your choice.

I also mentioned in the email that started this thread that I had tried
wicd with no luck.  I mentioned in another email somewhere in the mix
that I finally got things to connect via some "surgery" with a what
amounts to a dull kitchen knife, though the solution I'm using is very
kludgey and full of ugliness.  It works, though, so for now I'm not going
to screw with it.  I write a script to manage the ugliness behind the
scenes; it automates a lot of restarting of /etc/init.d/network-manager,
explicit configuration, and so on.

It'll do until I get back to an OS that does what I tell it to do, I
guess.