[NCLUG] html form to email cgi advice

Alan Silverstein ajs at frii.com
Tue Feb 21 12:00:35 MST 2012

Anthony et al,

>> There are other reasons too, but five seems like a nice round number.
> Fair enough.  I just disagree with all of them.  :-)

Nicely put!  Thanks for saving me the trouble of responding similarly,
and probably not as well.

We humans are myopic by nature.  We naturally see everything and
everyone else through our own filters and often "assume telepathy" when
it comes to communications, including my own pet peeve which is writing
code (I won't dignify it by calling it "software" unless it's
well-commented) using "software macho":  "I understand it, it was good
enough for me, what's YOUR problem?"

Now the natural evolutionary correction to this problem is to avoid
vendors or other sources who aren't sufficiently savvy about user
interfaces, good end-user support, mind-to-mind portability, etc.  And
when you feel like you don't have much choice for other reasons, be
polite but vocal about giving feedback to anyone who will listen.  Such
as:  "Please file a ticket for me upstream to your Web folks telling
them about the following UI disconnects..."

Maybe I'm just tilting at windmills, but it's at least fun to try.

Cheers,
Alan Silverstein