[NCLUG] html form to email cgi advice

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Feb 21 21:21:07 MST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 05:19:43PM -0700, Alan Silverstein wrote:
> > Do you, then, also believe that web forms are necessarily evil as
> > well?
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question but it seems overly broad.

[snip]

> If an entity really wants to hide its email address and standardize its
> incoming email, it should keep the form as simple and generic as
> possible with the fewest choices or widget visits required by the user,
> and the most freedom to just type in their text and send it.  (Assuming
> the entity can even stand providing a text box that renders bigger than
> say 10 chars wide by 2 lines tall!)

I agree with that.  I disagree with the guy who tells me that anyone who
provides a web form contact page is necessarily out to screw the
customer.  I hope that clarifies my position -- and the reason I asked
whether you believe that web form contact pages are necessarily evil,
given that your immediately previous email to this list seemed to agree