[NCLUG] UBUNTU Linux

Goodman,Darrin Darrin.Goodman at ColoState.EDU
Wed Mar 14 14:47:10 MDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: nclug-bounces at lists.nclug.org [mailto:nclug-bounces at lists.nclug.org] On Behalf Of Bob Proulx
> Unfortunately trying to describe how to monitor swap activity
> isn't simple.  For me it generally involves a lot of typing in text
> terminal windows and looking at command output.

Conky is a light weight application that displays text output for all sorts of different types of system (and even non-system) information, although I have no idea if it will run on Gnome3.  I know that it works fine on Gnome2, as well as XFCE and OpenBox.  I use Conky to display real-time information related to cpu-usage, ram-usage, swap-usage, bandwidth-usage, and am using RSS to pull in weather information for various locations.  If it will run on Gnome3, this might be a simple solution for you to be able to view swap usage.  It's in the Ubuntu repositories and should be an easy install, and a quick web search will provide you with hundreds of examples of config files that others have created to display custom Conky output.

-Darrin