[NCLUG] Fedora 17 Gnome 3

Luke Jones slukejones at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:14:36 MST 2012

I've picked up linux again after a long absence. In the meantime, the
Desktop wars were fought and now every desktop is Taco Bell. Except when
it's Gnome, or KDE, or something else. So people are writing things like
the above, and I'm sure it makes sense to most of you, but for a crusty old
bearded Unix guy like me, it's all too much to take in.  For me, it was a
huge step to move up from FVWM to WindowMaker. But I'm not just going to
whine. I'll ask a useful question, albeit in a whiny voice.

Q: is there a good high-level discussion somewhere that sorts out Desktops
and what they do beside managing windows. (Do desktops manage Windows, or
is that something else?) I know how to work Google, and I can go to KDE.org
or Gnome.org and read their marketing gibber, but I'd like to understand
the problem better before I spend a lot of time reading about the solutions.

Luke Jones  slukejones at gmail.com (907) 229-2699