[NCLUG] Fedora 17 Gnome 3

Goodman,Darrin Darrin.Goodman at ColoState.EDU
Tue Nov 20 11:47:31 MST 2012

On 11/18/12 12:33, N0WIQ wrote:
> Hi  people,
>
> I have been trying to make Gnome 3 as usuful as I nwas doing with
> Gnome 2.  The big thing I notice is the lack of panels that I could
> drop quick launch buttons in a drawer and keep them organized with
> different drawers.

Another option to consider: OpenBox is a window manager that will allow you to completely customize your menus/launchers with "drawers" (nested menus) - the menu config file is written in XML and is super easy to edit.  Although you can install OpenBox (you may also want to install a panel such as Tint2 or PyPanel) on your existing machine, I suggest looking at CrunchBang Linux -- it's a distro that runs on Debian and uses OpenBox as its window manager, and my experience has been that most everything works right out of the box.  CrunchBang also runs well on either new or older hardware, and they have a great community support system in place.  OpenBox is not as flashy as Gnome, KDE, or Enlightenment, but to me simplicity is more attractive anyway.

-Darrin