[NCLUG] MTA

Neil Neely neil at neely.cx
Thu Nov 29 18:22:22 MST 2012

On 11/29/2012 6:04 PM, Steve Wolf wrote:
> So far I've been able to ignore my server's MTA configuration, but the
> company I'm using to email my RSS feed has gone belly-up and I want to
> convert to a mailer on my server.
>
> Should I choose sendmail, postfix, or exim?  Why?  Please, no
> religious wars here. :-)

postfix is pretty simple, works really well out of the box and is very
powerful if you want to do fancier things with it.

I avoid sendmail - I quit using it around 12 years ago and have never
missed it.  I'm sure it's changed over that time, but in general it is
far more arcane than it should be.

I'll let someone else speak to exim, I've never used that one.

Sounds like your needs are pretty modest, so it probably doesn't matter
that much, but I would generally steer you towards postfix as it isn't
too demanding, and doesn't require much care and feeding.
--Neil