[NCLUG] I just did a system update

Jesse Griffin jesse at tummy.com
Mon Oct 15 12:25:57 MDT 2012

Kerry,

I'm still not entirely clear what you are after, but here are some ideas.

To see all the packages installed on your system run:

dpkg -l >pkgslist
   or
rpm -qa >pkgslist

Then, if you reinstall your OS, you could use those lists to rebuild the
packages that you want.

Alternately, if you are looking for a full system backup, capable of being used
as a full restore to a new machine or a blank disk you might want to consider
http://clonezilla.org/.

If you prefer the manual way, rsync and/or netcat can be used to perform these
operations.  See
http://articles.slicehost.com/2011/2/4/migrating-a-linux-server-from-the-command-line-running-the-sync
for helpful tips.

A potential rsync backup command would be:
rsync --numeric-ids -havP --delete --delete-excluded
--exclude-from=/home/USER/.rsync-excludes /
USER at BACKUPSERVER:/home/Backups/COMPUTERNAME

The rsync-excludes file could include directories like this:
/lib/udev/devices/
pid/
/proc/
/sys/
/dev/
/media/
/home/*/.opera/opcache/
/home/*/.dbus/session-bus/
/home/*/.ccache/
/home/*/.opera/cache/
/home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/Cache/
/home/*/.cache/chromium/Cache/
/home/*/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/
/home/*/.dbus/session-bus/
/home/*/.gvfs/
/tmp/orbit-*/
/tmp/keyring-*/
/tmp/gpg-*/
/tmp/.ICE-unix/
/tmp/.X11-unix/
/tmp/.esd-1000/
/tmp/.s.PGSQL.*
/tmp/ksocket-*/
/tmp/pulse-*/
/tmp/ssh-*/
/tmp/rsync.log
/var/spool/postfix/private/
/var/spool/postfix/public/
/var/cache/yum/
/var/cache/yum/
/var/tmp/yum-*-*/
/var/cache/apt/archives/

Then, to perform a restore to a new disk, the easiest way is to do a basic
install of the same OS on the new disk.  Then reboot and go into a rescue mode,
probably off of a live CD (CentOS 6 rescue mode is good).  Then you can chroot
into the basic OS, start SSH, and perform an rsync from your backup server to
the new disk, something like this:
rsync -ha --numeric-ids --progress --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/dev
/home/Backups/COMPUTERNAME/ root@$DESTIP:/

After that you probably want to run something like `update-grub` and then
`grub-install /dev/sda`, or whatever your disk name is.

As you can see, that's rather complex and there are some caveats too, depending
on how much the hardware may be changing, but it works well if you know what you
are doing.

If you have another disk in the same machine then it may be easier just to use
dd to copy from one disk to another, but this can be a bit advanced as well.

In short, use clonezilla if you are unsure of how to proceed with the above notes.

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin
tummy.com, ltd.