[NCLUG] GNOME 3.x

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Sep 26 22:21:02 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 12:33 -0600, Ben West wrote:

> I'd also like to challenge new users of gnome3 to consider changing their
> basic workflow to something that requires less change to gnome3.  I realize
> I sound like a complete fanboy, but I agree with most of the gnome design
> decisions

I agree completely with Ben's suggestion above.  I absolutely LOVE
Gnome3.  LOVE IT.

My path as a long time Fedora user was to use Ubuntu at work as a way of
broadening my horizons.  I tried Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity when it came
out and really, truly made and effort to use it.  I disabled or modified
things that simply did not work for me and in the end, I could use it
but it was poor fit and gave me no joy to use.

But the important part, for me, was that it prepared me to move away
from the classic, stale, Gnome 2.x user interface.

So when I did try Fedora 16 with Gnome3 I was prepared for change and I
liked what I found.  Add gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell-extensions and
you can make Gnome3 really shine.

But YOU have to be prepared to open your mind and try something new.
Until you do that, you'll only defend the old, non-innovative, stale and
boring ways of doing things.  Gnome 2.x will feel like Windows XP.

The idea that Gnome3 is "Alpha" is stupid.  I use it daily at home and
in the office and it SHINES with polish and quality.

--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing