[NCLUG] WIFI and Bluetooth hard blocks

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Apr 10 14:06:50 MDT 2013

On 04/10/2013 12:23 PM, rww wrote:
> WIFI and Bluetooth Hard Blocks
> ------------------------------
>
> I recently purchased an MSI GE70 0ND laptop with Win7 installed.  As is
> my custom, I replaced the Win7 hard drive with a new hard drive for my
> Linux install.  Unfortunately, I had NO communications.  Both the WIFI
> and Bluetooth radios were hard blocked.  This problem does not occur
> while running Win7..
> linux-p5tw:/home/rww # rfkill event
> 1362157575.923296: idx 1 type 1 op 0 soft 0 hard 1 <---- initial state
> after entering rfkill
> 1362157614.045045: idx 1 type 1 op 1 soft 0 hard 0 <----- state after
> unloading wifi driver
> 1362157649.231825: idx 2 type 1 op 0 soft 0 hard 0 <----- state after
> reloading wifi driver
> 1362157649.231837: idx 2 type 1 op 2 soft 0 hard 1 <----- state a few
> microseconds later

Given that the driver is clearly doing something that affects the hard
block, or triggers it, isn't the correct fix here to get the driver fixed?

This could be an issue with the BIOS's ACPI tables too; the driver may
be triggering ACPI byte-code to execute which has the side-effect of
incorrectly toggling the hard block, or perhaps there's some ACPI method
that should be being executed, but isn't.