[NCLUG] Networking Issue

Michael Coffman coffman at ftc.avagotech.com
Tue Aug 6 10:38:59 MDT 2013

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Matt Kassawara wrote:

> I suspect "Tx discards" reflect buffer limitations somewhere... which
> explains why enabling flow control end-to-end mostly solves the discards
> problem but negatively impacts throughput.

That's what I was suspecting and am trying to get a downtime on the switch
to change the buffering setup.

> I'm not familiar with HP's mesh technology, but if it amounts to link
> aggregation without equal-cost load balancing, you may see discards due to
> issues with the hashing algorithm.

All I really know is it's intended for performance, load-balancing and
redundancy.  It's supposed to select the best network path between 2 end
points on the network and it's supposed to update this over time based on
utilization, etc...  From HP's white paper on meshing with regard to path
selection.

  * Outbound queue depth, or the current outbound load factor, for any given
    outbound port in a possible path
  * Port speed, based on factors such as 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 1000 Mbps (or
    1 Gbps), 10 Gbps, full-duplex, or half-duplex
  * Inbound queue depth for any destination switch in a possible path
  * Increased packet drops, indicating an overloaded port or switch

> For 1 Gbps and faster connectivity, I would strongly consider implementing
> end-to-end jumbo frames to maximize performance.  Depending on the buffer
> architecture, it could positively or negatively impact the discards
> problem.  On modern equipment, I've only seen improvements from
> implementing it.

We have looked a little at going to Jumbo frames.  We are a heavy NFS user
and > 50% of our traffic is metadata (getattr, etc..).   How does jubmo
frames play into the metadata?

> P.S. - Isn't the 2500 mostly an ancient 10/100 Mbps switch with limited
> support for 1 Gbps?

The 2400 is a 10/100.  The 2500 is all gig ports with a set of 4 for
creating a 4G trunked uplink.   No buffering to speak of..